Monday, February 28, 2011

Buttercream Frosting

Oh, this stuff is yummy. It may result in you never, ever buying the stuff in the plastic container on the baking aisle. The nice thing is that it is easy. My Grandma Thiriot was the best cook ever. She even worked as a cook at the daycare I worked at as a teenager and the long-time teachers all remembered Miss Oma and her cooking. When I was little I would go and have impromptu lessons on cooking and making due with what you have. It is still one of my favorite memories of her. One time we were making frosting and I noticed the secret ingredient, salt. She told me it balanced out the sweetness and made it even better. And oh boy is she right. I guess we all need a little salt in our lives to make things sweeter. Try this on a cake, or ice cream cake, which is divine! This is a dump until just right recipe, make it how you like it by adding a little at a time and tasting.

Oma's Buttercream frosting (also good in chocolate)
1 lb powdered sugar
1/4 C butter, softened
pinch of salt
milk
cocoa powder if adding

Mix the powdered sugar, salt and butter together. Add milk in small increments till the consistancy is thick, but not too thick. Add food coloring if desired and slather on a cake, ice cream or graham crackers. Yum.

For chocolate, I alsways add the cocoa powder after I get everything mixed together. I usually add about a 1/4 C, but you can decide how chocolatey you want it and add more or less. Add more milk if it gets too thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment