Monday, August 31, 2009

Chicken Cabonera

I know that this is not real italian cabonera sauce. I haven't found a recipe I think my family will eat, so here is what I have been playing with. This sauce is good doubled and made into a casserole with chicken, sundried tomatoes, penne, mushrooms,provolone and swiss cheeses, but that is a post for another day. I've tried to make the sauce with cream cheese and it was too thick and didn't coat well. This has been the best so far. Oh, pictures are forthcoming, I forgot and started eating, it was really good!

Chicken Cabonera
Sauce:
3 tbsp butter, melted
4 tbsp flour
3 cups milk
3 cloves roasted garlic
½ C parmesan cheese
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

6 slices bacon
2 chicken breasts cut into small pieces and cooked in a little bit of bacon fat (1/2 tbsp)
1 package mushrooms sliced or diced, we have mushroom texture issues at our house so the smaller the better
1 pound spaghetti
1 tomato diced

Instructions:
Cook bacon until crispy, drain on a paper towel and cook diced chicken and mushrooms until done, set aside.

In a saucepan melt butter and add flour, stir and cook for a few minutes to reduce the floury taste. Add the garlic cloves and milk, stir on medium heat until thick and bubbly, remove from heat and add cheese and salt and pepper. Add chicken, bacon and mushrooms to sauce and then add to 1 pound of drained spaghetti.

Top with tomatoes and serve. Half my family dislikes tomatoes so I usually put them on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment